Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2014, 08:15:23 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: OBDLink MX officially launched.

ScanTool.net Forum  |  Software  |  Third-Party Software  |  Topic: ElmScan software for Mac OS X? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ElmScan software for Mac OS X?  (Read 27221 times)
SignOfZeta

My motto here...

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2005, 09:08:04 PM »

I've got a PowerBook G3 running Mac OS X 10.4.2, I've also got a VPW ScanTool hooked up with a USB-Serial converter and I've got a 1997 Pontiac Bonneville SE.

However, I can't seem to find any Mac software.  pyOBD runs perfectly, but it can't find my ScanTool, as all of the values are always zero.

What do you Mac users use (or why isn't pyOBD working)?  I have Linux experience, so I don't mind compiling code from scratch.
Vitaliy
ScanTool.net Staff
Veteran

Forum Cop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 10:03:08 PM »

Can you communicate with the scan tool using a serial terminal?

Need to decode a diagnostic trouble code? Try DTCSearch.com
hornerm

My motto here...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 04:56:37 AM »

SignOfZeta

Most of scantool software and hardware will not support the USB-Serial. Use serial cable.

If your PowerBook have serial port, try using hyperterminal communication. If work, try to communication with scantool hardware. No software need. See else where in these forum for hyperterminal code to communication with scantool. Good luck.
Vitaliy
ScanTool.net Staff
Veteran

Forum Cop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 01:01:18 PM »

Most of scantool software and hardware will not support the USB-Serial. Use serial cable.

Not true.

USB-Serial converters which are 100% compatible with RS232 (serial communications standard) are also compatible with our hardware. If in doubt, buy the USB-Serial converter from the ScanTool.net website.

Best regards,

Vitaliy

hornerm

My motto here...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 05:15:33 AM »

Vitaliy

Sorry on my saying. Most of the people on there forum saying it don't work with USB.

Maybe they used wrong type of USB-serial cable.

Is it special type of cable or connection?  Is it T-type or Y- type or what?

I believe we can't just go to Radio Shack and get regular USB-serial cable? Am I right?

Thank for feedback.
Vitaliy
ScanTool.net Staff
Veteran

Forum Cop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 05:16:11 PM »

As long as the USB-Serial converter is fully RS232-compliant (i.e., it provides the full -10V/+10V voltage swing), it will work with ElmScan hardware.

People are having problems because they use converters that have omitted the RS232 level shifter, and their output goes only from 0V to +5V.

bollman

My motto here...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 01:19:38 AM »

As macs don´t have serial ports, that is not an option.
I too uses a USB->RS232 dongle and it works like a charm. I use Keyspan USB-19.
As for OSX software: Me and a friend started developing some OBD software for OSX but there´s never enough time Sad
SignOfZeta

My motto here...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 11:49:35 PM »

Hey, I forgot about this thing.  Anyway, I've found out how to do this.  pyOBD is looking for serial ports to be named like /dev/cuaa0.  However, these are reserved for a machine's built-in RS-422 GeoPorts, which are supported under Mac OS X but not included on any New World machine (USB replaced them).

We're going to modify the source code of pyOBD, as I believe that's the best way to do this.  Open up the Terminal (it's under /Applications/Utilities/).

First, we'll need to find your serial port.  If you're using a Prolific PL-2303-based adapter, make sure its kernel extension is loaded:
$ sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/ProlificUsbSerial.kext
Make sure that line is typed correctly (you're running it as root!) and then give sudo your password.  If it loads or is already loaded, continue on.  Otherwise, plug the thing in and try again. :-P

Now look for your adapter in /dev.  Prolifics are /dev/cu.usbserial0;  all others are /dev/cu.USArandomstuff.
$ ls /dev/cu*

Got it?  Good.  Keep it in memory while you edit the code.
$ cd /usr/local/bin

Remove the precompiled version.  It will be regenerated when the Python engine loads it.
$ rm obd_io.pyc

Now, fire up nano (or your favourite text editor).
$ nano -w obd_io.py

Once editing the code, look for this block of code (or just use nano's search feature:  press Ctrl-W, type in search terms, press ENTER):
Code:
        try:
             self.port = serial.Serial(portnum,baud, \
             parity = par, stopbits = sb, bytesize = databits,timeout = to)
         except "FIXME": #serial.serialutil.SerialException:
             raise "PortFailed"

Change portnum to '/dev/cu.usbserial0' (or whatever), then save and exit (nano: Ctrl-X, Y, Enter).

After that, pyOBD should work.  The one side effect of this is that the Configure dialog box will no longer work, as pyOBD will be hardcoded to only use that one port.

Can someone test this fix for me?  I don't want to run out to my car to test this... it's cold and icy out there.
reenmachine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 05:44:10 PM »

Ever get a chance to test this?  I'm no programmer (wife is though) but I think I could get through it if it's known to work.  Any other progress getting pyOBD or anything else to work under OSX?

I have an ElmScan 5 USB.  My mac sees it (it's listed in the System Profiler) pyOBD doesn't see it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 05:49:27 PM by reenmachine » Logged
hanzo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 06:46:43 PM »

I've just purchased the elmscan 5 wirless, and fully intend to do some hacking on a mac.

For obvious reasons (I don't have it in my hands yet!) I've not been able to test what I am about to suggest...but here goes anyways (Your Mileage will certainly vary!)

After pairing your Mac and the Elmscan, you may not need to do anything. However, if you need to add the bluetooth device as a serial device, open up your bluetooth preferences.

Click on "Devices", choose the Elmscan device, click "Edit Serial Ports"

Not having the device myself, I can't provide any more detailed directions than this, but it may be a good start for others.

I promise to do a full write-up when I receive mine (as well as feed any neat-o code written back to the community).

With all that said, beyond pyOBD, has there been anything else written for OS X (or easily ported from linux)?
CliffH

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 11:22:46 PM »

pyOBD has TONS of bugs.  Apparently he whipped it out and got it sorta working and then abandoned the effort.  For example, to convert kPa to PSI he divided by 0.14505 instead of MULTIPLYING by 0.14505.  I got 596PSI for atmospheric pressure instead of 14PSI.

Just for info purposes, my AllInOne USB using the ELM 327 chip connects at /dev/cu.usbserial-A2000686 on my 17" aluminum PowerBook.  I hardcoded it into serialposix.py to replace the '/dev/cuaa/5d' % port.

mysp23

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 08:35:28 PM »

Any chance of posting the code on here. I tried that and could never get it working. I'm using the elmscan 5 USB
CliffH

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 11:49:41 PM »

This is what I did to serialposix.py to get it to work with my Mac USB port:

#try to detect the os so that a device can be selected...
plat = sys.platform.lower()

if   plat[:6] == 'darwin':
    def device(port):
#        return '/dev/cuaa%d' % port
        return '/dev/cu.usbserial-A2000686'

I deleted a lot of unneeded stuff to end up with the above...
You need to go into Terminal and do a "ls /dev/cu*" to find out what your serial port name is so that you can put it in the "return" statement, as shown above.  The adapter has to be powered before the Mac will see it.  You can use a 9V battery to power the adapter -- check your documentation to find out which pins to connect.

You have to select "Reset" under the "Settings" menu to start the communication process.  The adapter has to be plugged into the car and the ignition has to be on for communication to occur.  I have a recollection that his return message filter doesn't work correctly because he assumes that line feeds from the adapter are turned off, so you will probably get error messages in Terminal and nothing in pyOBD.

I've got pyOBD working now with a few glitches here and there.  For example, if you turn on all sensors or turn off all sensors then you can't get back to the "normal" display.  I will probably post it to my web site sometime in the fairly near future with all the warts so people can play with it and find the bugs.  One other problem I've seen is that once it starts scanning and displaying results you can't quit the program with Cmd-Q or with the Quit menu item.  Something to do with the Python threading.  I've hacked this program a LOT, so I don't know if it's something I did or this problem was always there.
JiK

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 10:23:31 AM »

Is there any progress on having ANY working solution for ELMscan 5 USB under Mac OS X since 2007?
CliffH

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 12:13:02 AM »

I did some work on this in 2008.  I got discouraged and stopped after Python Launcher broke when I upgraded to Leopard.  I got the display of all the OBD-II parameters working correctly but couldn't get the display of Diagnostic Trouble Codes to work.  Mr. Sizemore just hardcoded in some DTCs in the original code, but it didn't actually talk to the computer in the car.

For your amusement and edification it's posted here (renamed to MacOBD-II):

http://home.earthlink.net/~cliff_harris/MacOSX/

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
ScanTool.net Forum  |  Software  |  Third-Party Software  |  Topic: ElmScan software for Mac OS X? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length