Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 04:44:51 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: OBDLink MX officially launched.

ScanTool.net Forum  |  General OBD Information  |  User Forum  |  Topic: PIC18F2480 an ELM327 fake « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PIC18F2480 an ELM327 fake  (Read 10713 times)
renniw

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2007, 04:58:25 PM »

I bought what I thought was an ELM327 based OBD2 tool out of China from Rainwell on eBay. It turns out that the chip inside is not a genuine ELM327.  It is a 28 pin chip labeled PIC18F2480 instead.   I have had no luck trying to connect to a CAN BUS car. It generated a U0073 network error instead.  So BEWARE.

I've  since replaced the fake chip with a genuine ELM327.  With the ELM327 chip I don't get network error but I still can't successfully connect to the CAN BUS using Scantool, or any other software.  All AT and ATZ commands seem to work normally including the AT RV showing 11.9 Volts from  the car. Some how the CAN BUS protocol is not detected, yet  a stanalone INNOVA 3100a hand held has no problems making the connection to  the CAN BUS and showing the vehicle MIL status or clearing codes.  Any ideas on  ELM327  to CAN BUS connection issues?  Thanks.

CanDoo

My motto here...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 06:18:53 PM »

This should provide you with the answer to your problem. It has beed pasted from www.Rainwell.net website.

Latest News 
 The new ScanMaster-ELM v1.4 is now available.
 Palmer Performance Engineering, Inc. is sponsoring a DashXL design contest
 ScanTool.net v1.13 has been released.
 PCMSCAN v2.0 has been released

As you can see it is a direct 'lift' from the ScanTool.net website.  They are just another example of a bunch of rip-off merchants and if what they say is true, that they won't argue about refunds, I'd be asking for your money back. The tool is undoubtebly useless.

Remember the saying " If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys ". I'm not here to lecture on the foolhardiness of buying such products from Ebay but it's a great platform for unscrupulous people to make a buck !!
Vitaliy
ScanTool.net Staff
Veteran

Forum Cop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 11:48:37 AM »

We've recently acquired a Rainwell scan tool for testing, and I must say that it is a rather crude device. I may post some pictures later, that show the sloppy solder work.

The ELM327 clone that's used as a basis for the scan tool has strange bugs, and does not connect on any protocol other than ISO9141-2. What's even worse, from a consumer's point of view, is that the hardware itself does not support the other protocols. In other words, if you replace the Rainwell chip with a genuine ELM327, it still only connects to ISO9141 ECUs.

Rainwell is not a company I would trust with my money. They stole the ElmScan 5 and ElmScan 5 USB trademarks, which are property of ScanTool.net, LLC. If that wasn't enough, the content of the RainWell website has been taken almost verbatim  (as CanDoo has pointed out), from the ScanTool.net website.

Real ElmScan 5 and ElmScan 5 USB scan tools are sold in the thousands, and each one is thoroughly tested before it is shipped to the customer. A great deal of emphasis is placed on identifying and fixing problems in the field, and any problems reported by customers are quickly investigated and acted upon. Since its introduction in late 2005, the ElmScan 5 went through five hardware revisions. The ElmScan 5 USB scan tool, which is based on the ElmScan 5, went through four revisions.

In the unlikely event you experience a problem with your scan tool, you can rely on the technical expertise of our engineers. Chances are, the company that sold you a clone lacks this expertise, and its personnel may not even speak your language.

When you buy your scan tool from ScanTool.net, LLC or one of its authorized distributors, you can be confident that you are getting the best value for your money.

Sincerely,

Vitaliy
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 09:17:12 PM by Admin » Logged

Need to decode a diagnostic trouble code? Try DTCSearch.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
ScanTool.net Forum  |  General OBD Information  |  User Forum  |  Topic: PIC18F2480 an ELM327 fake « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length