Author Topic: Odometer Information from OBDII  (Read 8558 times)

jhu1

• View Profile
Odometer Information from OBDII
« on: July 26, 2010, 08:09:39 PM »
Hello, I am a newbie and am interested in trying to figure out how to get odometer information from the OBDII port.  I am working on a Masters project for something I am designing.  This doesn't have to actually be built, but it should be rooted in reality. 
I have searched and seen that people haven't been able to get the odometer information out of the device.  I am somewhat surprised.  I see that the "Distance traveled with malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on" is available and the "Distance traveled since codes cleared" is available.  I am surprised with all the software available for the OBDLink Scan Tool that someone hasn't derived that function.  This device is great because it datalogs through a USB cable. 
I've researched the ScanGaugeII and it is supposed to give you odometer functions.  There is no datalogging or output to pc capability I believe.  I called their tech support and they said that if you don't reset the machine you can have the mileage  continue forever (until the hex limit runs out).
I don't need the current odometer reading.  I just need the distance traveled from the time the OBDII device is plugged in.  Software can take care of the rest.  Any software gurus want to try their hand. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 08:17:44 PM by jhu1 »

Chris Pearson

• View Profile
Re: Odometer Information from OBDII
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:19:56 AM »
Hi jhu1,

Our ScanTool.net offerings are designed to access Generic OBD-II Parameter IDs (PIDs). Generally, vehicle odometer information is not a Generic PID. GM vehicles using ScanXL with the enhanced GM package would, however, be capable of accesing this information. This is one of the reasons you've found such a lack of information out there.

As far as calculating miles traveled over an amount of time (and not true odometer) this has been done. "Just" take the integral of the vehicle's speed over time. However, I won't be writing any software for your project. :)

Cheers,
Chris

K1GTo

• View Profile
    • New Projects
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:11:29 AM »

If you sniff the network on a modern GM vehicle, the odometer is routinely broadcast. I believe it's broadcast in 1/10's of miles or kilometers.

Since you're looking for "miles travelled since the OBD was connected" then all you have to do is grab that value once at the beginning, and once at the end and subtract the first from the last.

This should be quite trivial, if you  have any problems, post back here. I'll subscribe to this thread.

Hello, I am a newbie and am interested in trying to figure out how to get odometer information from the OBDII port.  I am working on a Masters project for something I am designing.  This doesn't have to actually be built, but it should be rooted in reality. 
I have searched and seen that people haven't been able to get the odometer information out of the device.  I am somewhat surprised.  I see that the "Distance traveled with malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on" is available and the "Distance traveled since codes cleared" is available.  I am surprised with all the software available for the OBDLink Scan Tool that someone hasn't derived that function.  This device is great because it datalogs through a USB cable. 
I've researched the ScanGaugeII and it is supposed to give you odometer functions.  There is no datalogging or output to pc capability I believe.  I called their tech support and they said that if you don't reset the machine you can have the mileage  continue forever (until the hex limit runs out).
I don't need the current odometer reading.  I just need the distance traveled from the time the OBDII device is plugged in.  Software can take care of the rest.  Any software gurus want to try their hand. 

jhu1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 09:10:30 AM »
Chris Pearson, thanks for the information regarding taking the Integral of velocity with respect to time.  I should have known all that Calculus would come in handy for something.  No worries about writing the code.  I'm not writing any code either.  I just needed a way to figure out how to get the distance from the OBDII.  I can simply put that information in my project and explain that's how it would be done.

K1GTo, thanks for your information also.  The problem is that I need Generic information to cover the widest variety of cars possible.  So the GM only solution won't work.  It looks like there are about 229 Generic codes to work with in this case. 

Chris Pearson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 09:40:55 AM »
I should have known all that Calculus would come in handy for something.

Tell me about it!