Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2014, 07:36:30 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: OBDLink MX officially launched.

ScanTool.net Forum  |  Hardware  |  OBDLink SX  |  Topic: OBDLink SX will not connect - ever! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: OBDLink SX will not connect - ever!  (Read 2166 times)
Vitaliy
ScanTool.net Staff
Veteran

Forum Cop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 05:53:23 PM »

Just some added info...

Other owners of Aston's make use of various ELM devices and one I know of uses the Autoenginuity tool and software.

These all talk perfectly well to the Aston's of varying years, much like my older V1 ELM scanner does.

With that in mind I would think the J1850 is fairly standardised but as you suspect, maybe the timings are possibly outside the range the OBDLink SX can deal with at this time. (something a firmware update could easily fix).

I noted there are some AT commands that can alter the timing or latency. Would these be worth a try?

AT PP SV : for example

If it would help you guys out I have two documents detailing OBD2 data for both Aston Martin's and Ford's of later years, it doesn't exactly relate to my model and year, however they might help throw some light on the subject.

There is a lot of data and information in the two PDF documents which are quite some pages long.

I won't make them public, but I can send them direct via email if you wish.

They might not help my situation but could certainly help others should they shed any light on the inner OBD workings of these vehicles.

Unfortunately, the timings I'm talking about are not settable using programmable parameters. They deal with individual bit times. Specifically, how much time should pass after asserting the bus, before SX reads its status. If the bus has a lot of capacitance, the bus voltage may not decrease/increase fast enough, and SX will report an FB ERROR.

We don't know for sure whether it is the problem. It may be that you got a faulty unit (it had to travel pretty far, possibly something happened during shipping).

I would love to see the docs. I will PM you my email address.

Thank you!

Vitaliy

Need to decode a diagnostic trouble code? Try DTCSearch.com
user_unknown

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 06:20:56 PM »

Ahh, ok I understand what you refer to about the bit timings.

Docs are on the way, for the AM and Ford I noticed on pages 109 (AM) and 243 (Ford) that the info is exactly the same. So it seems even after Ford released ownership of AM they continue to use the same system.

Some P codes might be AM specific though.

There are some further AM OBD manuals that I am in the process of obtaining and I will forward these over to you as and when I receive them.

They may help, they may not :-)

Vitaliy
ScanTool.net Staff
Veteran

Forum Cop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 11:47:07 AM »

Ahh, ok I understand what you refer to about the bit timings.

Docs are on the way, for the AM and Ford I noticed on pages 109 (AM) and 243 (Ford) that the info is exactly the same. So it seems even after Ford released ownership of AM they continue to use the same system.

Some P codes might be AM specific though.

There are some further AM OBD manuals that I am in the process of obtaining and I will forward these over to you as and when I receive them.

They may help, they may not :-)

Thank you for the docs. It looks like Ford is recycling much of the same information, I've definitely read some of it before. Google "2011 MY OBD System Operation", then change the year to 2010, 2009, etc -- Motorcraft seems to have many of their PDFs in the public domain (not sure whether intentionally, or not).

Vitaliy

user_unknown

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 04:24:31 PM »

Sorry it's been so long. Have been busy with work and other things.

The replacement tool arrived along with a Y-cable.

I will be testing it out sometime next week.

I shall re-run the most obvious tests from this thread using the new tool and post the results.

Let me know if there is anything specific you wish me to try with the Y-cable.

Vitaliy
ScanTool.net Staff
Veteran

Forum Cop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 07:20:37 PM »

Sorry it's been so long. Have been busy with work and other things.

Sorry, it is now my turn to apologize! I blame work, too.

The replacement tool arrived along with a Y-cable.

I will be testing it out sometime next week.

I shall re-run the most obvious tests from this thread using the new tool and post the results.

Let me know if there is anything specific you wish me to try with the Y-cable.

Please connect the new SX, and try connecting:

ATSP 0
ATDP

If not successful,

ATSP 1

If you get "FB ERROR", please use the Y-cable to hook up the new OBDLink and your ELM327 tool to the DLC. Then, on the ELM327:

ATSP 1
ATH1
ATMA

And on the new SX:

ATSP 1
[hit enter a few times, about a second apart]

Then reverse the roles (have SX listen w/ ATMA and transmit on the ELM).

Hopefully, the new unit solves the problem, which would mean it was a hardware issue.

Thanks again for your help!

Vitaliy

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
ScanTool.net Forum  |  Hardware  |  OBDLink SX  |  Topic: OBDLink SX will not connect - ever! « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length