Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2014, 10:42:13 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Added OBDLink MX forum board.

ScanTool.net Forum  |  Hardware  |  OBDLink  |  Topic: [SOLVED] OBDLink works with computer but not Droid X « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [SOLVED] OBDLink works with computer but not Droid X  (Read 1188 times)
manross

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2011, 12:15:25 PM »

This is driving me crazy. When I hook my US bought 1997 Mercedes Benz SL320 through the computer via the USB cable everything works absolutely perfect. When I try to use the bluetooth with Torque Pro it will pair with the Droid x but will not connect. Watching the status LED it will change from green to yellow and red (I think, I did this yesterday) and keeps trying to connect but won't do it. Does anyone have a clue what's going on.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 12:36:37 PM by Vitaliy » Logged
Vitaliy
ScanTool.net Staff
Veteran

Forum Cop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 02:53:18 PM »

I asked the software vendor to look at your post, and comment.

Need to decode a diagnostic trouble code? Try DTCSearch.com
manross

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 06:23:20 PM »

I asked the software vendor to look at your post, and comment.

Thank you. I might have found out a setting in the Torque software that I missed. I'm too tired tonight so it will have to wait till tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be lucky and it will be my only issue. Again thank you for your time.

Marty
manross

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 02:02:42 PM »

Well I tried everything that was suggested by numerous people, did everything that I could think of and no luck. What bugs me is that it works on my laptop with a USB cable. Absolutely no problems and was exchanging lots of info at a very fast rate. Too bad I don't have room for a netbook or something. Just to clarify what I'm seeing on the LED status indicator. It will glow yellow, then green and then red. Watching the status page on the Torque program and it coincides with the status LED. Yellow it shows it trying to connect with the phone. Green shows it's connected with the phone then red shows a disconnect from the phone. Keeps doing this at about 2-3 seconds on each LED and then cycles again, again.... well you get the idea. I'm beginning to think there is something wrong with the bluetooth portion of the adapter. I have no other bluetooth devices installed. I'm going to try the adapter on my wife's car before coming to any conclusions even if I'm able to do that then. Hope this may mean something to someone out there. Thanks for reading this mini-novel.  Huh

This evening I tried to hook it up to my wife's 2002 Infiniti QX4 and it does the exact same thing as in my 1997 Mercedes SL320. By the way I checked in the engine bay near where Mercedes puts their round 36 pin ECU connector and I found a manufacturers stamp that says in fact it is OBDII compliant. I was glad to confirm this.  I'm beginning to wonder if it's not the OBDLink bluetooth adapter that is the problem. Hopefully someone will advise me what to do with the adapter or help me figure out how to make it work.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 10:05:17 PM by manross » Logged
jon_ak

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 11:03:12 PM »

i haven't used the scan tool yet but your problem getting it to sync with the droid bluetooth is a defect in the droid os if you are running droid 3.1.  my wifes android based phone and mine which both have 3.1 installed will not connect after successfully creating a sync with our toshiba thrive tablets but they will sync and connect to her toyota camry.  not sure if there will ever be a "fix" for it on the near horizon but there are lots of droid users with the same issue.
Vitaliy
ScanTool.net Staff
Veteran

Forum Cop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 11:21:04 AM »

UPDATE: this issue is being handled by Torque on their forum:

http://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=1317.00

manross

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 09:03:15 AM »

I'm running version 2.3.3 if this helps. I know Admins don't like multiple posting (or is that on the same forum), but wasn't sure if this is software or hardware issue.
Vitaliy
ScanTool.net Staff
Veteran

Forum Cop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 03:51:37 PM »

I'm running version 2.3.3 if this helps. I know Admins don't like multiple posting (or is that on the same forum), but wasn't sure if this is software or hardware issue.

I see that Ian (Torque) suggested the next troubleshooting steps. Please continue to work with him, until you can determine with certainty what the nature of the problem is (Android bug, faulty Bluetooth module). I would definitely pop the enclosure open, and make sure the module is properly seated on the connector.

Vitaliy

manross

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 11:07:47 AM »

I see that Ian (Torque) suggested the next troubleshooting steps. Please continue to work with him, until you can determine with certainty what the nature of the problem is (Android bug, faulty Bluetooth module). I would definitely pop the enclosure open, and make sure the module is properly seated on the connector.

Vitaliy

According to Ian he feels it is a bluetooth issue. Here is the current thread on this. It appears you've been keeping up to date too, thank you: http://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=1317.00
I will pop open the module as long as it doesn't come back to bite me later Undecided

Marty

Vitaliy
ScanTool.net Staff
Veteran

Forum Cop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 01:04:12 PM »

According to Ian he feels it is a bluetooth issue. Here is the current thread on this. It appears you've been keeping up to date too, thank you: http://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=1317.00
I will pop open the module as long as it doesn't come back to bite me later Undecided

Marty

Yes, please open the enclosure, and re-seat the Bluetooth module (it will not void the warranty). If the problem persists, please contact sales@scantool.net, send them a link to this thread, request an RMA, and ask them to cross-ship a replacement.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience.

Vitaliy

manross

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 10:32:02 PM »

Marty

Yes, please open the enclosure, and re-seat the Bluetooth module (it will not void the warranty). If the problem persists, please contact sales@scantool.net, send them a link to this thread, request an RMA, and ask them to cross-ship a replacement.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience.

Vitaliy

I did separate slightly it and before pulling the sticky-tape from the USB plug I took a peek and it appeared to be secured. I took it apart and pulled and reset the BT module. It still does not work with DroidX or the bluetooth on my laptop. It still works ok using the USB cable to the laptop. I will do the email requesting the replacement.
manross

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 12:27:30 AM »

Got the replacement unit and still had some problems, some what different in nature, but the Torque guys figured out the correct settings and it now works like a charm.

I'd like to thank both ScanTool and Torque for their support and quick response. I will be sending the first unit back in the morning, not wanting to send it in till we determined if it was a unit or software problem. Although the second unit did not work at first, I believe it was strictly a user problem. I'm pretty sure the first unit was in fact defective, but I hope you are able to test it and make sure there is a problem with it and not just toss it.

Just wanted to tell anyone that is sitting on the fence as to whether to spend the few extra bucks for this unit versus some of the cheaper models that are out there, spend the few extra bucks. This unit has very fast data transfer and is very stable while monitoring. As seen here this company is very quick with their support and advice. Thanks again guys for a great unit...and now I'm off to watch some full throttle shift points :-)
Vitaliy
ScanTool.net Staff
Veteran

Forum Cop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 12:36:20 PM »

You're very welcome! Thank you for your patience and positive attitude. Smiley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
ScanTool.net Forum  |  Hardware  |  OBDLink  |  Topic: [SOLVED] OBDLink works with computer but not Droid X « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length