OBDLink® MX is a budget-priced, pocket-size Bluetooth OBD-II adapter for all OBD-II compliant vehicles (except hybrid or electric vehicles). It can be used as a diagnostic scan tool, trip computer, logger, and real-time performance monitor. OBDLink® MX surpassed performance in every competing Bluetooth OBD-II adapter, delivering 300% more data samples per second. Its BatterySaver™ sleep mode allows the adapter to stay plugged in continually, without draining the vehicle’s battery.
Unlike the vast majority of Bluetooth OBD adapters, which constantly broadcast their presence and use an easy-to-guess 4-digit PIN, OBDLink® MX utilizes a unique multi-layered link security mechanism, eliminating the risk of unauthorized access. OBDLink MX’s support of the de facto standard ELM327 command set, makes it compatible with tons of third-party OBD software and mobile apps.
- Turn off the check engine light, and erase stored diagnostic information
- Read and erase stored, pending, and permanent trouble codes (both generic and manufacturer-specific)
- Access freeze frame information
- Display, graph, and log 90+ real-time parameters
- Create custom digital dashboards
- Measure and display fuel economy
- And much more!
- Maximum vehicle coverage (Verify your vehicle is OBD-II compliant)
- Supports SW-CAN & MS-CAN protocols
- World’s fastest Bluetooth OBD-II adapter
- Small form factor
- Read & clear 'Check Engine' light
- Automatic sleep & wake-up
- Free Android app & Windows diagnostic software
- More 3rd party app & software options
- Free firmware updates
|DEVICE WEIGHT||3 oz (85.1 g)|
|DIMENSIONS||1.97 x 1.77 x 0.91 in (50 x 45 x 23 mm)|
|SUPPORTS ALL OBD-II PROTOCOLS||Yes|
|SUPPORTS SINGLE-WIRE CAN (GMLAN)||Yes|
|SUPPORTS FORD MEDIUM-SPEED CAN (MS-CAN)||Yes|
|OPERATING CURRENT||62 mA|
|BATTERYSAVER™ MODE||2 mA|
|OPERATING VOLTAGE||8-18V DC|
|OPERATING TEMPERATURE||-4º to 131º F (-20º to 55º C)|
|OPERATING HUMIDITY||10 to 85% (non-condensing)|
|MAXIMUM PARAMETER ID (PID) RATE||~100 PIDs/second for PC & Android|
|WARRANTY||OBDLink® MX comes with an unconditional 90-day money-back guarantee, and a 3 year warranty.
- Legislated OBD protocols:
- ISO 15765-4 (CAN 250/500 kbps, 11/29 bit)
- ISO 14230-4 (Keyword Protocol 2000)
- ISO 9141-2 (Asian, European, Chrysler)
- SAE J1850 VPW (GM)
- SAE J1850 PWM (Ford)
- SAE J2411 Single-Wire CAN (SW-CAN) - GM proprietary network
- Medium-Speed CAN (MS-CAN) - Ford proprietary network
- Smartphones (Android 2.2 and newer)
- Tablets (Android 2.3.3 and newer)
- Bluetooth-enabled PCs, Laptops, Netbooks (Windows XP SP2 and newer)
- Phone (Windows Phone 8 and newer)
- Tablets (Windows 8 and newer)
- Smartphone (BB 10.0.0.0 and newer)
- Tablet (BB 18.104.22.168 and newer)
- Not supported
Customer Reviews (27)
- Works as intendedReview by Zach [Amazon Review]
This device is only as good as the software that supports it. It does come with free software that works well, and other apps are available on the marketplace that may work better with your particular vehicle (Forscan is an example).
The only reason I rated 4 stars instead of 5 is that you have to forget the device every time you disconnect from it. It gives a new code when you hit the bluetooth connection button so it won't 'remember' your phone. This is a minor inconvenience but it is still an inconvenience. Perhaps ScanTool can introduce a watch battery powered memory much like how your computer remembers Bios settings when it is turned off?
Hope the review helps, I am pleased with my purchase. (Posted on 8/15/2016)
- Great tool for the novice or the pro.Review by G. Thomas [Amazon Review}
- GREAT, GREAT, GREATReview by Jeremiah Mauricio [Amazon Review]
I also race and use other apps with this and it works perfect! This might be one of the best tools I have bought in the last 5 years. (Posted on 8/15/2016)
- Top Shelf OBD-II Bluetooth ToolReview by Carlos Thomas [Amazon Review]
My advice would be to use this along with another tool such as Torque. While the original software gives EXCELLENT reports, third party applications seem to work faster with the dashboard items. Other than that one hiccup the tool is just that: EXCELLENT. (Posted on 8/15/2016)
- Worth every pennyReview by John M. [Amazon Review]
- OBDLink wins.Review by M. Cole [Amazon Review]
The ability to use iOS is nice, however, the OBDLink coupled with a $63 Android phablet worked better in my situation, as described below.
The layout of the included OBDLink software is excellent. I can easily see many live parameters on one screen, without jumping through hoops and dozens of clicks to display them.
With the Bluedriver, I was disappointed with the layout of the real time live data screen. It is nice to have the option to show the graphs on the main page along with the data, however, it was laid out in a semi-confusing manner, hard to tell at a glance which line the data referred to, with no obvious visual breaks between lines. As a mechanic, I prefer the capability to show many items at once on the page, with the field description at the left, and the data on the right. When the graphs always included, it really limits how many fields can be displayed at once. Some of the parameter descriptions were vague, and hard to identify when on the data viewing screen, although they were clearly labeled on the parameter selection screen. It was especially hard to identify which O2 data I was looking at, and which sensor it was for.
Being limited to the Bluedriver software was a large reason I selected the OBDLink device. I like the functionality and layout of the ODBLink software, and open compatibility nature of their setup. There are some custom written programs that work with ELM 327 that really do much more than either OBDLink or Bluedriver by themselves, and the ability to utilize those programs, like Forscan, was huge for me. I can get access to seemingly every parameter on my 2012 F350 with the OBDLink and Forscan. Really a dizzying array of data.
Since I am not set on using iOS, this OBDLink was a great solution.
One thing that would make these devices even better would be bi-directional control. (Posted on 8/15/2016)
- Saved me a trip to the dealer!Review by Tom Aiken [Amazon Review]
- Works great with LinuxReview by Abu Ari al Saba [Amazon Review]
- Best Automotive Product I've Ever Purchased!Review by Dan [Amazon Review]
- The software is good enough, or you can try some of the ...Review by Jane Smith [Amazon Review]
- Did more than I expected.Review by Jesse T Sanders [Amazon Review]
- 1st tool out of my toolbox on a customers car/truckReview by Marty the Mobile Mechanic
Sometimes my customers are in their offices/homes or out of town and I am able to do a quick "screen shot" of the Trouble Code screen and the PID screens, Then, I instantly text the OBDLink "screenshots' to their smart phones. So easy to explain ..."a picture is worth ten thousand words". In just a moments time, my customer sees this beautiful, professional text/screenshots of their "check engine light" problems on their smart phones.
OBDLink also features a "web lookup" that gives more information to "share" with the customer via texting.
I never need to bother them in their workplace/ (often I am out diagnosing the vehicle in an office parking lot)
The customer just looks at the screenshots/ information and usually gives me the go ahead to do the repair work (no "face to face" necessary) ..and they can refer to the OBDLink info as a permanent text "record" to show their husbands/partners or daughters text the info to their Dads for the "old man's" approval...
This saves a whole lot of paperwork...and a text is a legal document.!!
I trust the information OBDLink MX gives me and my customers....and they give me lots of business...based on this incredible scan "tool"
..Thank you OBDLink MX
. You guyz at OBDLink rock!!!!
-- Feb 8, 2014 5:39:06 PM (Posted on 2/8/2014)
- OBDLink MX works greatReview by Steve
-- Nov 15, 2013 12:42:15 PM (Posted on 11/15/2013)
- obdlinkReview by marcin
--Nov 12, 2013 1:43:18 PM (Posted on 11/12/2013)
- The bluetooth you are having without bluetoothReview by Matt
May 21, 2013 4:12:58 PM
RESPONSE: MX Bluetooth does work with the vast majority of Android phones & tablets, although it doesn't work with the iOS.
We purposefully handle all of tech support from our forum because we find this to be more valuable. When customers have the similar questions, posting in a thread allows accessibility to answers any time of day or night. It is a wealth of information and our engineers are excellent at responding quickly to individual concerns. (Posted on 5/21/2013)
- No supportReview by Grumpy
-- May 6, 2013 12:21:54 PM
RESPONSE: We do not have automated email responses, our staff answers email multiple times per day. We handle all tech support from our forum purposefully to be of more help to the customer. Since there may be many customers with the same question, the forum allows you to run a search and have more access to information even when our offices are closed. (Posted on 5/6/2013)
- Good but not that good. Review by Zenya
-- Mar 24, 2013 8:58:52 AM (Posted on 3/24/2013)
- Really happy with OBD LinkReview by Steven
With OBD Link I was able to see which precat 02 sensor was bad and why. Also found a bad t-stat on my Mini. It's already paid for itself 3 times over. I'll though out the POS Chinese adapters that I bought that worked only for a short time.
-- Mar 17, 2013 6:12:44 PM (Posted on 3/17/2013)
- AmazingReview by James Millar
After extensive research, I chose the OBDLink MX. I needed something fast, compact, and reliable, and everything I found suggested this was the best.
Since receiving it, our full-function Snap-On scanner has stayed in its box - the OBDLink MX is faster and more convenient. I'm using it with Torque ( pro, but I started with Lite and it worked great).
ScanTool.net is great too - I bought the tool at full price, then they refunded me $50 because it went on sale before my payment cleared, That was far beyond my expectations, and has completely sold me on their customer service.
--Jan 20, 2013 11:38:51 AM (Posted on 1/20/2013)
- AwesomeReview by Kevin
-- Oct 7, 2012 6:08:49 PM (Posted on 10/7/2012)
Items 1 to 20 of 27 total