What is Ready-or-Not?
The Ready-or-Not (RoN) is a combination scan tool and test tool. As a fully functional PC-based scan tool, RoN is able to read/clear trouble codes and display sensor data identical to the popular ElmScan 5 series of scan tools. As a test tool, RoN works independent of a PC to quickly determine if a vehicle's monitors are set and ready for emissions testing.
What are "monitors"?
All OBDII compliant vehicles have what are known as "monitors". Monitors are a series of tests the engine ECU performs to determine whether different emissions related systems are working properly. Clearing trouble codes (after a repair, for example) resets these monitors and it may take considerable driving time for each monitor to set again. Most states will not allow a vehicle to be tested for emissions until the majority of these tests have been completed by the engine ECU.
How does Ready-or-Not work?
Simply connect RoN to your vehicle and it will instantly display which monitors are set and whether or not your vehicle is ready for emissions testing. RoN features both visual and audio confirmations that alert the driver the instant the vehicle is ready for emissions testing.
Features & Benefits
- Scan tool and test tool functionality in one device.
- Saves time and frustration by indicating when a vehicle is ready for emissions testing.
- Buying a used car? Remember that the check engine light can be cleared, masking potential problems. Use RoN to verify that the majority of monitors have been completed by the engine ECU.
Using the Ready-or-Not as a scan tool
The Ready-or-Not scan tool is very easy to use: just plug it in, as shown on this diagram:
Normal connection time (the time it takes for RoN to connect to your vehicle) is between 1 and 25 seconds (depending on the protocol).
Using the Ready-or-Not as a test tool
The Ready-or-Not test tool is very easy to use: just plug it in, as shown on this diagram:
Normal connection time (the time it takes to determine the "Ready/Not Ready" status) is between 1 and 25 seconds (depending on the protocol).
Using the configuration utility
The Ready-or-Not works out of the box, however it can also be programmed to adapt to any existing or future state emissions program. The configuration utility supplied with the test tool comes with a large number of presets, covering all current state emissions programs.
See the user guide for more information on using the test tool and the configuration utility.
|Indicator LEDs:||Readiness status: READY, NOT READY|
Monitor statuses: CAT, EVAP, SEC. AIR, O2, O2 HTR, EGR
|Operating voltage:||12V, internal protection from short circuits/overvoltages|
|Dimensions:||3.75" x 1.7" (95 mm x 43 mm)|
- Ready-or-Not Unit
- Serial cable (6 ft)
- OBD-II Cable (6 ft)
- Software CD
Why buy ScanTool.net products?
The short answer is, when you buy from ScanTool.net, you get the most value for your money.
We were the first company on the market to offer inexpensive, sophisticated PC-based scan tools at a price anyone, not just the professional mechanics, can afford. It continues to be our mission to this day, and we believe we do it better than anybody else.
When you buy scan tools from ScanTool.net, you get:
- Fast, inexpensive shipping. Most orders are shipped same day from our facility in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Risk-free, hassle-free 90-day unconditional money back guarantee.
- Best warranty in the industry. Your scan tool is covered by a 3-year material and labor warranty. If it fails, we will promptly repair or replace it free of charge.
- Best customer service.
- Free, unlimited technical support. Our technical support personnel interacts directly with the design engineers, so you get the answers to even the most complicated questions, quickly. At the same time, the engineers use the feedback to further improve the products.
Highest quality. We ensure it by:
- Continuously improving the design of our scan tools.
- Using only genuine, high quality components.
- Thorough, multi-phase testing.
- Compatibility with the widest range of vehicles.
- Support. See what other customers say about this tool, and ask questions on the Forum: Ready-or-Not board
We are proud to offer a complete line of PC-based scan tools, which cover all OBD-II compliant vehicles, and sell for under $150 (some for under $100). Thanks to their open architecture, our scan tools are compatible with a wide range of software, including free and open-source diagnostic programs, as well as different hardware platforms, including Palm- and PocketPC-powered devices.
|SUPPORTS ALL OBD-II PROTOCOLS||Yes|
|SUPPORTS SINGLE-WIRE CAN (GMLAN)||Yes|
|SUPPORTS FORD MEDIUM-SPEED CAN (MS-CAN)||Yes|
|OPERATING TEMPERATURE||-4º to 131º F (-20º to 55º C)|
|OPERATING VOLTAGE||8-18V DC|
|OPERATING HUMIDITY||10 to 85% (non-condensing)|
|MAXIMUM PARAMETER ID (PID) RATE||N/A|
Customer Reviews (2)
- Great Product, Great Idea!!!!Review by Alan Loder [Amazon Review]
Excellent product, works as advertised!! Much easier than driving a car several miles to wait for monitors to run. Plug it in, and watch for the green light!! Great stuff! No more wasted time driving a car (even if your shop is getting paid for the time, we all have better things to do than drive a car around.)
-- August 3, 2007 (Posted on 7/11/2012)
- Ready-or-Not. yep, that easy!Review by Kelly Shaw [Amazon Review]
I've been using mine for just about a week now. I am an I/M technician, and I have seen the need for a tool like this for years. Vehicle owners are frequently commenting (complaining) of the hardships of OBDII testing:
1) Owners don't know when to bring the vehicle back to be tested, or if they are even being successful at getting any of the monitors to set.
2)They don't like the idea of paying a technician $100/hour to drive their vehicle to set the monitors for them.
3)They are worried about how the technician will/has driven their vehicle.
4)Technicians complain about having to risk getting a ticket due to the vehicles registration being expired, or having to drive a vehicle around getting the monitors to set when there is better paying jobs in the bay.
5)I see many vehicles that reset the monitors to incomplete whenever the vehicle is started. These vehicles will never pass, but it is easy to determine by plugging the tool in, drive it and see if some monitors set, turn the vehicle off and restart. If the monitors are incomplete you have a direction to pursue your diagnostics.
This product takes care of these issues. The software that came with the product allowed me to easily set the parameters to our states particular requirements. The cord is long enough route out of the way and still have the unit easily readable. It can even audibly inform you when it's ready to go get I/M tested.
Is this really that good? Yep, and I just loaned it out to another shop to try out because they didn't like the idea of driving a vehicle with expired tags. Now they can leave that ticket to the owner!
Kinda wish I had an engineering background myself... :)
-- July 6, 2007 (Posted on 7/11/2012)