On vehicles hosting SW-CAN or MS-CAN networks, our enhanced ST command set allows your device to interpret data not available on the vehicle’s OBD-II bus. Using the GM & Ford proprietary codes, you can commonly interpret current status of systems such as:
- Seat belt
- Anti-Lock Brake (ABS)
- Traction Control
Control commands commonly found on supported vehicles include:
- Door lock/unlock
- Window up/down
- Radio volume up/down
- Turn signals & Hazard on/off
- Engine start/kill
While STN1170 ST commands will provide access to SW-CAN and MS-CAN networks, the proprietary GM & Ford codes must be obtained independently. A popular method is to join the Equipment and Tool Institute where the codes can be accessed/purchased. Alternately, the traffic can be analyzed and reverse engineered.
- Safe, secure bootloader. Reflash the firmware in the field, even over a poor quality link and avoid expensive product recalls.
- Fully compatible with ELM327 command set, ensuring out-of-the-box compatibility with the dozens of existing software applications.
- Extended “ST” command set provides access to enhanced functionality, without compromising compatibility.
- PowerSave mode with multiple sleep and wakeup triggers. Ideal for permanent in-vehicle setups, device can be left connected for extended periods of time without draining the battery.
- Perfect form factor for any application. STN1170 is available in TQFP and QFN packages.
- RoHS compliant
- Solid, field-tested software. STN1170 runs the same proven code that powers the popular STN1110 and OBDLink family of PC-based OBD interfaces. Thanks to its large user base, any problems are discovered and corrected quickly.
- Large OBD message buffer. STN1170 has over five times as much RAM as its nearest competitor, virtually eliminating BUFFER OVERFLOW errors.
- Automatic protocol detection algorithm is continuously fine-tuned to insure that STN1170 will connect to the widest array of vehicles, even those that do not fully conform to the OBD-II standard.
POWERSAVE TECHNOLOGYThis diagram shows the various triggers available in the STN11xx family of ICs. Please refer to the STN11xx PowerSave Functionality documentation for more details.
|OPERATING VOLTAGE||3-3.6V DC|
|OPERATING CURRENT||63 mA|
|BATTERYSAVER™ MODE||< 2 mA|
|OPERATING TEMPERATURE||-4° to 185°F (-40° to 85°C)|
All legislated OBD II protocols:
- ISO 15765-4 (CAN 250/500 kbps, 11/29 bit)
- ISO 14230-4 (Keyword Protocol 2000)
- ISO 9141-2 (Asian, European, Chrysler)
- SAE J1850 VPW (GM)
- SAE J1850 PWM (Ford)
Non-legislated OBD protocols:
- Single-Wire CAN (SW-CAN) – GM proprietary network
- Medium-Speed CAN (MS-CAN) – Ford proprietary network
- ISO 15765
- ISO 11898 (raw CAN)
- SAE J1939 OBD protocol used in heavy-duty vehicles
STN IC Comparison Chart
|Compatible with ELM327 AT command set|
|Extended ST command set|
|PowerSave™ sleep/wake triggers|
|Automatic protocol detection algorithm|
|Support for all legislated OBD-II protocols|
|Support for Single-Wire CAN (SW-CAN)|
|Support for Medium-Speed CAN (MS-CAN)|
|Support for SAE J1939|
|Advanced security options|
|Recommended for new designs|
|Unit pricing (10k pieces; USD)|