The best-selling ELM327-based PC-based scan tool is back, with a new look and a new low price! Based on time-tested, proven technology, ElmScan 5 Compact lets you turn your computer into a sophisticated diagnostic system. The scan tool is a breeze to install and configure, and provides a lot more information about your vehicle, than a handheld scan tool. It is fully OBD-II compliant and works with any Windows PC with a USB port. ElmScan 5 Compact includes all necessary hardware and software to diagnose your vehicle's problems.
OBDwiz diagnostics software, included with ElmScan 5 Compact, allows you to:
- Turn off check engine light, and erase stored diagnostic information
- Read and erase stored, pending, and permanent trouble codes (both generic and manufacturer-specific)
- Access freeze frame information
- Display, graph, and log 90+ real-time parameters
- Create custom digital dashboards
- Measure and display fuel economy
- And much more!
Premium diagnostic software, such as ScanXL and ScanMaster, offers a myriad of additional features including Dynometer, multi-language support, and data manipulation tools. ScanXL’s Enhanced Diagnostics Add-ons offer support for thousands of enhanced manufacturer-specific parameters, as well as ABS and other proprietary systems.
- Plug-and-play design
- Maximum vehicle coverage (Verify your vehicle is OBD-II compliant)
- More 3rd party software options
|DIMENSIONS||3.5" L x 1.9" W x 1" H (88.8 x 48.3 x 26 mm)|
|SUPPORTS ALL OBD-II PROTOCOLS||Yes|
|SUPPORTS SINGLE-WIRE CAN (GMLAN)||No|
|SUPPORTS FORD MEDIUM-SPEED CAN (MS-CAN)||No|
|OPERATING CURRENT||46 mA|
|OPERATING TEMPERATURE||-4º to 131º F (-20º to 55º C)|
|OPERATING VOLTAGE||8-18V DC|
|OPERATING HUMIDITY||10 to 85% (non-condensing)|
|MAXIMUM PARAMETER ID (PID) RATE||~130 PIDs/second|
|WARRANTY||ElmScan5 Compact comes with an unconditional 90-day money-back guarantee, and a 3 year warranty.
- Legislated OBD-II protocols:
- ISO 15765-4 (CAN)
- ISO 14230-4 (Keyword Protocol 2000)
- ISO 9141-2 (Asian, European, Chrysler vehicles)
- J1850 VPW (GM vehicles)
- J1850 PWM (Ford vehicles)
- PCs, Laptops, Tablets, & Netbooks (Windows XP SP2 and newer) with USB connection
- Smartphones & Tablets (Android 3.1 and newer)
- Not supported
Apps & Firmware
Customer Reviews (18)
- Great product - Great priceReview by Mr Doc
I used it last night and saved myslef at least $250. I have a jerking idle. Hooked up the scan tool. The code stored as a misfire on cylinder 3. I didn't have to guess which one it told me. So I swapped cyclinder 2 sprk plug with cylonder 3 sprak plug, cleared the code and restared the car. Still gave a cyclinder 3 misfire. I thne swapped the spark plug wires and cleared teh code. This time when I started the car the misfire went to cyclinder 2. Solved - plug wire bad. A trip to the auto store and $30 later - fixed! Yea it's not the top of the line, but it does do what I want it to.
-- Dec 6, 2012 11:04:50 AM (Posted on 12/6/2012)
- OBDLink SX 2.0 OBD-II Scan ToolReview by Paul F Ladouceur
-- Nov 16, 2012 1:30:41 PM (Posted on 11/16/2012)
- 5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!Review by Targeteer [Amazon Review]
-- Nov 16, 2012 1:30:41 PM (Posted on 11/16/2012)
- This was a gift and the receiver was very pleased and informed me that it works great.Review by Irish Rose [Amazon Review]
-- Jan 21, 2012 (Posted on 7/11/2012)
- Just rightReview by Dave [Amazon Review]
-- Jan 23, 2012 (Posted on 7/11/2012)
- Has potential, inexpensive, reads codes and logs dataReview by Darian P. Paganelli [Amazon Review]
-- Feb 6, 2012
OK, so it does not print out saved information, but it does save recorded information. Scan tool and OBDwiz do sell an updated version of the software called Professional version of OBDwiz. This costs about 40 dollars and allows printing, multi dimensional graphing of measured data and a report printed from gathered scanned data. See the scan tool website. Too bad Amazon did not sell this update. I would have bought it from them first.
-- Feb 7, 2012
The more familiar I become with automotive computer diagnostics and using this little tool, the more I love it. It prints out a diagnostic report (Advanced Professional Software Version for 38.95 from the manufacturers website) Which is quite detailed and of excellent quality. Considering that diagnostic tools cost from hundreds to thousands of dollars, this tool for a total investment of less than sixty dollars does as much work as they do. It is not just a code reader. It is a diagnostic tool.
-- Feb 14, 2012 (Posted on 7/11/2012)
- Excellent product and works very well!Review by archersaurus [Amazon Review]
I'm an IT professional and was very impressed at how well this product works. I have a Win 7 laptop and had no problems with the hardware or the software. I recommend not updating the software as the sticker on the CD says but downloading the newest software by itself and not even bothering with the CD which is what I did. I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu and 2001 Ford Explorer and was able to instantly connect to both of my vehicles without any issues. It instantly displays any trouble codes you have with the option to clear them and gives you 2 sources for explanation of your trouble codes. You may also want to do additional research on your own as to what your specific trouble code means to the make and model of your vehicle. The software is very comprehensive on the amount of information it displays and there is some info that can be displayed in real time once the vehicle is cranked. For the money you can not go wrong with this scan tool!
-- April 2, 2012 (Posted on 7/11/2012)
- Great Product for the PriceReview by cfree12 [Amazon Review]
Product software was easy to install, and easy to use. Great product to enable reading and clearing codes for those able to do simple car repairs on their own.
-- Feb 24, 2012 (Posted on 7/11/2012)
- Excellent product has paid for itself on the first useReview by SJM "irishfluter" [Amazon Review]
-- April 15, 2012 (Posted on 7/11/2012)
- USB to OBD2 ScannerReview by Thomas E. Hall [ Amazon Review]
-- April 16, 2012 (Posted on 7/11/2012)
- Good value, works very well, but bit complicatedReview by Big V [Amazon Review]
-- April 17, 2012 (Posted on 7/11/2012)
- GreatReview by Big Brut [Amazon Review]
--April 23, 2012 (Posted on 7/11/2012)
- I cannot believe this was only $30Review by Motoford [Amazon Review]
It has worked flawlessly for me. I have had it 2 weeks and connected without any problems at all to a Toyota Corolla, a Suzuki Forenza, a Ford F150, a Dodge Ram, and a Jeep Wrangler. Each time this tool did exactly what it is supposed to do. 3 of those vehicles had decided to die at once, and I was able to quickly diagnose, order parts (thanks again Amazon), and fix in just a few minutes. Each time saving me money and time at the repair shop. Who wants to leave their car for a couple of weeks while you beg the mechanic to look at it?
I seriously feel like I should send the ScanTool people more money. I can't remember when I have paid so little and been so pleased with something.
--May 25, 2012
(Posted on 7/11/2012)
- Works Great!Review by Gregory J. Brazina "Scorpious64" [Amazon Review]
-- July 10, 2012 (Posted on 7/11/2012)
- Good quality scan tool, good softwareReview by N Leonard [Amazon Review]
I've tested it on a few cars - GM, VW, and Toyota from the late 1990's. The software has all of the standard/generic OBD2 PIDs available: RPM, vehicle speed, O2 voltages, STFT/LTFT, other standard sensor voltages and %'s, etc. The OBD2 protocol suite isn't very fast by nature, but I was able to pull several PIDs per second on the above mentioned cars. That's good enough to, say, get a rough idea of how the O2 sensor waveforms look, or check data parameters on a snap throttle. In other words, hey, it ain't no labscope, but it gets the job done. I haven't had a chance to test it on newer cars to see if it reads data any faster there.
The software is decent. I have not been able to make it crash yet. It will make fairly nice graphs of data PIDs versus time, or if you really want to play around with the data, you can dump it to CSV. I always just use the software to make my graphs... it is very easy to use.
Be aware that this *is* a cheap tool, so you won't find any bi-directional control or manufacturer specific PIDs. Adding custom PIDs looks like a pain, if it is even possible. But hey, considering that one typically pays hundreds if not thousands of dollars for manufacturer specific PIDs and bidirectional control, I ain't complaining.
In summary, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this tool to anybody who likes messing around with or fixing cars. It works!
-- July 1, 2012 (Posted on 7/11/2012)
- Handy tool to have!Review by D. ONEIL "Human" [Amazon Review]
-- June 4, 2012 (Posted on 7/11/2012)
- Great Product, Good Value Review by Guy Hill [Amazon Review]
-- May 27, 2012 (Posted on 7/11/2012)
- Put this on your short list for OBD-II ScanToolsReview by ComputerGuy
1. Clear and easy instructions right out of the box.
2. Installed and worked the first time, no problems.
3. Came with a basic application to read and reset diagnostic codes and monitor PIDs.
4. Based on ELM327, so there is lots of applications and support on the internet. Check out the ELM site under OBD.
5. Uses a FTDI chip for the USB, which is a great chip. If for any reason you have a problem connecting over the USB, check out the FTDI site.
1. The status lights are on the connector which makes them unseen when it is connected. That wasn't a problem as I only had to wave my hand under it to see the reflection of the power light.
2. There is better software, demo videos, and PDF documents on the CD that arrived with the scan tool. If only the initial documentation had mentioned it. Glad I looked.
Overall, I would buy this product again and recommend it to anyone looking at similar products for basic and DIY scanning and logging. However, if you are one of the few heading toward PCM tuning, then consider a J2534 interface before paying for a ScanTool and probably getting the same features again with the J2534 connector.
(Posted on 9/27/2009)